In 2019, students in Ball State Sports Link …
- dedicated over 50,000 combined hours to producing digital and linear sports content.
- produced over 18,000 minutes (300+ hours) of sports programming (audio and video) to digital AND linear platforms.
- produced over 6,000 minutes (100+ hours) of live sports to an ESPN platforms.
- recorded over 10 million organic impressions of content across all social media platforms.
- recorded over 2 million organic video views of content across all social media platforms.
- recorded over 125,000 engagements of video content across all social media platforms.
In 2019, the Ball State Sports Link program …
- Grew to over 50 students in the program, including 45% from out-of-state and 46% women and/or of minority classification.
- Continued our summer workshop series to include 11 different high schools and over 200 high school students who attended a camp session or workshop learning about CCIM, TCOM, Sports Link and Digital Sports Production.
- Created a new studio show, Every Athlete Matters, syndication with WIPB and 11 additional cable providers or networks in state of Indiana, southwest Michigan and west central Ohio. The show is be available in every county in Indiana.
- Created an Olympic sports radio package which brings student- produced broadcasts to commercial AM/FM distribution through Woof Boom radio, 102.9 FM and 1340 AM. The package will feature 10-12 live events each semester.
- Our initial voyage into the world of Esports in Spring 2019 proved wildly successful and engaged a cross-campus partnership with students in the Esports club. The vast growth of this industry in sports production, its sponsorship and audience size potential warrants us to continue in this path and grow. It also aligns with conference and NCAA growth of Esports at the college level, but more importantly, provides a skill-set in the marketplace for our students.
- Since 2009, students in Ball State Sports Link have garnered over 125 state or national awards for sports production, including 49 Emmy and/or Student Production Award nominations (22 wins) and 37 Sports Video Group/Best of College Sports Media nominations (10 wins).
- Since 2009, Students have won 39 Indiana Association of School Broadcasters first-place awards, 18 Indiana Society of Professional Journalists first-place awards, as well as 13 Broadcast Education Association “Best in the Nation” honors and two “BEA Best of Festival” awards from all entry genres.
- Sports Link graduates can be found at ESPN, Turner Sports, Raycom Sports, MLB, Indy Car, NASCAR, NBA, NFL, NHL and NCAA Athletics Departments.